South Dakota joined the Union on November 2, 1889, the same day as North Dakota. South Dakota is traditionally listed as the fortieth state, but no one knows which Dakota was admitted first. President Benjamin Harrison shuffled the two statehood documents before signing them so neither state could claim it had entered the Union ahead of the other.
Native peoples lived, hunted, farmed, and traveled across the region long before European explorers arrived. The Arikara, Mandan, Crow, Cheyenne, Omaha, Ponca, Dakota, Nakota, Lakota, and other nations were connected to different parts of the land at various times. The history was far more complex than one tribe simply replacing another.
The first written record of European explorers reaching present-day South Dakota comes from 1743. French explorers Francois and Louis-Joseph de La Verendrye buried a lead plate near present-day Fort Pierre and claimed the region for France. The land later passed to Spain, returned to France, and became part of the United States through the Louisiana Purchase in 1803.
Today, South Dakota is known for Mount Rushmore, the Black Hills, the historic town of Deadwood, and the prairie country described in several of Laura Ingalls Wilder’s books. The state’s forests, ravines, outlaw hideouts, mining towns, and Victorian buildings have also inspired plenty of strange stories.
Here are some of South Dakota’s best-known legends.
The Uneasy Legends of Sica Hollow
Sica Hollow State Park is tucked among the wooded hills and ravines of northeastern South Dakota. It’s a beautiful place filled with old oak trees, natural springs, small waterfalls, and winding trails. Yet its name gives visitors a hint that something about the hollow has long seemed unsettling.
“Sica,” pronounced “shee-chah,” comes from a Dakota word meaning “bad” or “evil.”
The park’s best-known path is the Trail of the Spirits. It winds through thick woods and passes springs and bogs that bubble with reddish water. Iron deposits create the rusty color, but before that natural explanation was known, the strange water became part of Native traditions about blood, departed ancestors, and unseen spiritual forces.
Some of the decaying wood in the hollow can also appear to glow with a faint green color after dark. Add the sounds of running water, wind moving through the trees, and animals hidden in the undergrowth, and it isn’t difficult to understand how eerie stories began.
Over the years, visitors have reported hearing voices, chanting, footsteps, and other sounds they couldn’t explain. Some have also described the uncomfortable sensation that someone was watching them from among the trees.
The Trail of the Spirits became a National Recreation Trail in 1971. Thousands of people now walk it without experiencing anything unusual, but the old stories still give the trail an extra chill, especially when the sun begins to disappear behind the trees.
Is Sica Hollow haunted, or is it simply a beautiful woodland where unusual sights and sounds encourage the imagination? Visitors can decide for themselves.
Seth Bullock and the Haunted Bullock Hotel
People familiar with the television series Deadwood will recognize the name Seth Bullock. The character was based on a real lawman and businessman who became one of the most respected residents of early Deadwood.
Bullock and his business partner, Sol Star, arrived in Deadwood in 1876 and opened a hardware store. Deadwood was then a rough gold-mining settlement with little organized law enforcement. Bullock became the town’s first sheriff and earned a reputation for bringing some order to the growing community.
He later became a successful rancher, businessman, conservationist, and friend of President Theodore Roosevelt.
A fire destroyed Bullock and Star’s hardware store in 1894. Instead of rebuilding the store, they constructed a three-story hotel on the same location. The 64-room Bullock Hotel opened in 1896 with steam heat and indoor bathrooms, making it one of the finest hotels in the region.
According to local folklore, Seth Bullock never truly checked out.
Guests and employees have reported hearing the heavy steps of boots crossing empty hallways and climbing staircases. Others have smelled cigar smoke even though no one nearby was smoking. Doors are said to open or close on their own, and objects sometimes seem to move without anyone touching them.
Some visitors have described seeing the figure of a tall man dressed in clothing from Bullock’s time. The figure usually disappears before anyone can get a closer look.
The stories often describe Bullock as a stern but harmless spirit. According to hotel lore, he becomes most active when employees aren’t working hard enough. Even after death, it seems Sheriff Bullock may still expect everyone to do their job.
The hotel embraces its haunted reputation and offers visitors a chance to learn about both its history and its ghost stories. Whether Bullock still patrols the hallways is unknown, but his presence remains a lasting part of Deadwood folklore.
Easton Castle and the Oz Legends
Aberdeen is home to a large Queen Anne-style residence known as Easton Castle. With its towers, unusual rooflines, and yellow brick exterior, the house looks as though it could have come from a storybook.
The home was built in 1888 and 1889 for businessman C.A. Bliss. Carroll Francis Easton later purchased it, and the building became known as Easton Castle.
The house wasn’t originally yellow. Its exterior was made of wood and was once painted green. In 1904, Easton’s son Russell designed the yellow brick covering that gave the house its familiar appearance.
Those colors eventually connected the home to L. Frank Baum, the author of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.
Baum lived in Aberdeen from 1888 until 1891. He operated a store called Baum’s Bazaar, published a newspaper, took part in local theater, and knew many prominent families in the community.
Local folklore claims that the greenhouse helped inspire the Emerald City and that its yellow bricks inspired the Yellow Brick Road. The dates, however, create a problem with the yellow brick story. Baum’s book was published in 1900, four years before the bricks were added.
Another legend claims Baum’s niece, Leslie Gage, worked as a housekeeper at Easton Castle and inspired Dorothy. Reliable records don’t support that story. It appears to be a later addition to the castle’s folklore.
The house still developed ghost stories of its own.
People have told of footsteps moving through empty rooms, stairs creaking when no one is using them, and shadowy figures appearing near the upper floors. Other stories describe voices or knocking sounds coming from parts of the house where no one is present.
Easton Castle is a private home, so these stories can’t easily be investigated. Its unusual appearance, connection to Aberdeen’s early history, and uncertain links to the world of Oz continue to make it one of the city’s most curious landmarks.
Even without a proven Yellow Brick Road connection, it certainly looks like a house where an unusual story might begin.
Jesse James and the Impossible Jump
Near the town of Garretson, Split Rock Creek cuts through red quartzite and creates a narrow chasm known as Devil’s Gulch.
According to local legend, outlaw Jesse James arrived there in 1876 while fleeing from a posse after the James-Younger Gang’s failed bank robbery in Northfield, Minnesota.
The robbery had gone badly. Armed townspeople fought back, two outlaws were killed, and several others were wounded. The surviving gang members fled, setting off a large manhunt across Minnesota.
Jesse and Frank James escaped capture and eventually returned to Missouri. What happened during their escape has produced numerous stories, including the legend of Devil’s Gulch.
The Garretson tale says Jesse and Frank separated near Split Rock Creek to make it more difficult for the posse to follow them. Jesse suddenly reached Devil’s Gulch and found an opening about eighteen feet across blocking his path.
With the posse supposedly closing in behind him, Jesse urged his horse toward the edge. The horse leaped across the chasm and landed safely on the other side. The pursuing riders stopped rather than attempt the same dangerous jump, allowing Jesse to escape.
Could a horse really jump that far while carrying a rider?
There’s no firm historical evidence proving the leap happened. The exact route Jesse and Frank followed after leaving Minnesota is uncertain, and outlaw stories often grew larger each time they were repeated.
Still, the legend has become inseparable from Garretson. A footbridge now crosses the gulch near the supposed jumping point. Visitors can stand above the opening, look across it, and decide whether Jesse James and his horse could have made the leap.
The story may be history, exaggeration, or a mixture of both. Either way, Devil’s Gulch has earned a permanent place in the folklore of the American West.
South Dakota’s legends grew from many parts of its past. Native traditions shaped stories about unusual places such as Sica Hollow. Deadwood’s frontier years produced tales about a sheriff who may still patrol his hotel. An Aberdeen mansion became connected to the world of Oz, even when some of the dates didn’t fit. A narrow gorge turned an outlaw’s escape into an almost impossible feat.
The facts behind these stories aren’t always as dramatic as the legends. That hasn’t stopped people from telling them, questioning them, and passing them along to the next generation.
Learn More
South Dakota State Historical Society Foundation
https://www.sdhsf.org/news_events/history_articles.html/title/october-2014-proclaiming-south-dakota-as-a-state
South Dakota State Historical Society
https://history.sd.gov/archives/data/archives/introduction.aspx
South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks
https://gfp.sd.gov/parks/detail/sica-hollow-state-park/
Travel South Dakota
https://www.travelsouthdakota.com/trip-ideas/haunted-outdoors-south-dakota
Deadwood Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Bureau
https://www.deadwood.com/history/infamous-deadwood/seth-bullock/
Historic Bullock Hotel
https://www.historicbullock.com/
Dacotah Prairie Museum
https://dacotahprairiemuseum.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/A-Tour-of-L.-Frank-Baums-Aberdeen-1997-Don-Artz.pdf
Aberdeen Magazine
https://aberdeenmag.com/2026/01/stepping-into-history/
Visit Garretson
https://visitgarretsonsd.com/things-to-do/devils-gulch/
Northfield History Center
https://www.northfieldhistory.org/1876-bank-raid
